COVID-19 and College Recruiting
During this time of uncertainty and change with the COVID-19 outbreak, we want to provide as much information as we can to coaches, athletes, and families. As more information becomes available, we will provide updates as quickly as possible.
Over the past few days, we’ve spoken with many coaches at the 4-year, junior college, club/travel, and high school levels.
As the intercollegiate governing bodies such as the NCAA, NAIA, and various junior college athletic associations update their rules, college coaches have told us that recruiting will continue, mostly online via phone calls, texts, emails, social media, etc.
WHAT WE KNOW TODAY
- The NCAA DI Council has allowed schools the option to provide spring sports student-athletes an additional season of competition and an extension of their period of eligibility. (Info Below)
- NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA have canceled spring sports.
- CCCAA has suspended all activities for spring sports indefinitely.
- NWAC has suspended all competition for spring sports until April 13th.
- NCAA has instituted updated guidelines suspending in-person recruiting for all divisions through April 15th.
- NJCAA has suspended all on and off-campus recruiting until April 15th.
- CCCAA has suspended all on and off-campus recruiting indefinitely.
- NAIA and NWAC have yet to institute updated recruiting guidelines similar to the NCAA, NJCAA, and CCCAA.
- Most major tournaments, showcases, and events have been canceled or postponed.
IMPACT ON RECRUITING AND CALENDARS
While some recruiting rules are changing for the time being to limit in-person interactions and keep people safe, recruiting will still continue online/digitally. As some of the recruiting calendars may change, we recommend staying up-to-date with the latest information here.
To continue their recruiting efforts, college coaches are focusing on communicating with athletes, coaches, and families over the phone and online, and watching as much highlight film as they can find.
WHAT CAN YOU DO AT THIS TIME
Keeping your online profile up-to-date is very important. Be sure that your profile is updated with the following information:
- Video (Games, practices, weightlifting, training, etc.)
- Academic info (GPA, SAT, ACT, Transcripts)
- Coach Evaluations (Head coach, assistant coaches, trainers, etc.)
- Target Schools (To help your coaches know where you’re interested)
Lastly, college coaches have told us they will be trying to get in touch with athletes, coaches, and family members as much as possible at this time. Respond to college coaches as quickly as you can. Also, communicate with your coaches frequently so everyone is on the same page.
The FieldLevel team is always available to answer your questions and help out. You can schedule a demo with us whenever it’s convenient for you.
ROSTER SPOTS, SCHOLARSHIPS, AND ELIGIBILITY
The NCAA DI Council has voted to allow schools the option to provide their student-athletes who participate in spring sports an additional season of competition and an extension of their period of eligibility.
Schools also have the flexibility to allow their teams to carry more student-athletes on scholarship to account for incoming recruits as well as student-athletes who were in their last year of eligibility and decide to stay.
This new rule only applies to spring sports. Winter sports were not included in this decision.
It remains to be seen how it will affect teams, rosters, scholarships, and recruiting with regards to junior college transfers and high school recruits. Other athletic associations outside of NCAA DI have yet to announce similar plans.
HELPFUL LINKS AND UPDATES
As information becomes available, we will do our best to update coaches, athletes, and families. Here are some helpful links to the websites for the Center for Disease Control, the intercollegiate governing bodies, various social media accounts, blog posts, etc:
Center for Disease Control – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
CDC info on businesses, schools, and communities
CDC info on traveling
Intercollegiate Governing Bodies
NJCAA – https://www.njcaa.org/COVID19
Social Media Accounts
The FieldLevel team is here to help and support you, your coaches, and your families. If there’s anything we can do, please contact us in one of the following ways:
Demo: Schedule a Time